Spandex and Asphalt
Do you remember when you were a kid and thought you could ride your bike really fast through your neighborhood and at the last possible second you would slam on brakes before flying into the tree, the wall, the fence or whatever immovable object was in your way. You felt invincible. For 90% of the riders in this year’s Tour de France, the same is true, but for the other 10%; they have not been so lucky. The race – the Tour de France – is at its halfway point, 10 out of 20 stages and there have been some really great moments of strength and endurance and there
have been some not so good moments.
Think of it this way – you’re on your bike along with 200 or so other riders. You’re traveling at a speed of 35-40 mph with riders inches from your front tire, back tire and pedal to pedal on both sides. Don’t sneeze or even think of touching your brakes, because you know if you do, bad things will happen and the spandex will meet the asphalt – can you say “road rash”. The domino effect starts and bike parts and yes bodies are flying everywhere. This year, like many other Tour de France races has seen its fair share of crashes.
Time warp – not in the spandex – to your HR department and you find yourself surrounded with your desk piled with reports and paperwork. You have nowhere to turn and you dare not stop for coffee or a chit chat with your co-worker. You find that 90% of the time you’re fine – cruising along – but then there’s the 10% and WHAM! You have an audit from the Dept. of Labor; you have to get the alphabet reports done, EEO, OSHA, and OFCCP reports. And on top of that you have a possible RIF (reduction in forces) that you are working on and on the horizon you know your company’s benefits are going to increase.
You realize in Human Resources – just like the rider in the race – there’s going to be times when things are fine and then there are times that could potentially be hairy and a little stressful. The great thing with your HR issues is there’s Workforce Management software that can help you handle all the audits, reports, and compliance needs and avoid getting bruised and feel beaten up.
Tour de France riders sometimes fall and when they crash they are usually done for the race. With HR there’s going to be those times where you do fall down and feel as though you’ve torn your spandex. But as an HR professional I know – we persevere; we get back up and finish the race no matter how bad it may look.
So just remember Spandex and Asphalt don’t mix – but Workforce Management, Compliance, and Kronos do.